Author Archives: rbos

testing a Java change

I changed the server over to the new G1 Java garbage collector, which supposedly has a somewhat more efficient memory footprint and an algorithm for releasing memory that avoids some worst-case scenarios.

Some details here, here, and here.

Achievements, updates

  • Implemented the Achievements and Stats plugins.  See here for the list of current achievements.  The Stats plugin will let me put in some nice pretty server activity graphs later, I think. :)
  • Updated flight to work only for members+.
  • Various plugin updates to newest versions (afkkick, blahblah).
  • Rounded out the desert biome to make it look more natural, added some forests.
  • Fixed the subscription thinger to properly add to expired subs (rather than just blindly appending time).

On the subscription front, we’ve reached $75 in the first two weeks of pimping, plus $13 in Adsense revenue.  I’m confident we can pay for the upgraded net connection. :)

User cap increase

Okay, the ISP has apparently tracked down the issue (again) and confirmed that it’s their router that’s been causing the problem – on mild congestion, packets drop, latency increases, everything goes to hell.

So, as compensation they’re putting us onto their Server Connect 750KB/sec upload package until November.

Until then, I’m putting the user cap up to 30.  Let’s see what this baby can do.  If in November we have enough subscriptions/ad revenue to pay for it, or if they come out with a cheaper package (they’re rolling out a 3MBit upload package which might be more than enough for us), we’ll consider upgrading to something a little more hefty.

In the meantime, have fun. :D

some updates

  • Installed ChannelChat for local and global chat (global default).  /ch and /chlist added to default rank, will evaluate/discuss other channels soon, with an eye on the possible problem of splitting up conversations too much.  Local chat has a 1 kilometer range, which should cover most towns.  If we get a higher server population, more chat channels make sense, but for now, a couple will do.  Possibility of giving channel privileges to member rank.
  • Updated hey0mod to 116 – items now spawn directly in your inventory when spawned with /kit or /item, and admins can now /clearinventory <player>.  Not that I see any use for it, since I could always do that just by deleting the player file.
  • SessionProtect now prevents you using the last slot in your inventory.  Allegedly.  This helps with a dupe bug.  I haven’t tested it, so feedback on that would be good.
  • more, probably.  I also updated cuboidplugin and griefalert, but that probably won’t be major.

happy thanksgiving

Okay, happy Thanksgiving from Canada. :D

While watching How To Train Your Dragon on DVD at my gf’s parents’ place, I was on a laptop dinking about with the Web site a bit.

  • Tower ad on the sidebar!  Woo!
  • Proper links in the menu bar – no more clicking through a page to get to the map.
  • Cuboid protection zones now have a minimum height of 32.

Map update

Thanks to agrif, regular on the server and contributor to Overviewer, the server map now marks protected areas. They’re normalized to sea level, which makes them a little off sometimes, but most of them are most accurately represented at sea level anyway.

Hm, I guess I could render it at the *average* Y instead of at a set Y.

Productive day


  • we’re running WordPress now,
  • the map is moved,
  • the forum is moved,
  • some basic content is in place,
  • I made a spiffy new banner from the Cathedral (probably the most recognizable landmark),
  • we’re running MySQL on the backend now,
  • I updated the map marker and premium member scripts to use MySQL,
  • We ran with 30 users for three hours. It was amazing!

Moving to MySQL

Minecraft multiplayer is fun, but playing it quickly grows old. Without the challenges imposed by server-side health, enemy mobs, and the tempting, easily-available /item spawn command, it doesn’t pose a whole lot of challenge for a server admin. Running the server is interesting, though.

Today, I’m working on moving the backend configuration to MySQL out of flat files. That part is done. I wrote a script to parse the text files and insert them into tables, restarted the server, and everything seems pretty okay, with the exception of some duplicate entries in the groups table, and some leftovers in the user table. I’m rewriting the “contributor” script, which will promote users from “regular” to “member”, the premium rank.

2 subscriptions so far. Rolling in the dough!

Still to do: add Google adsense ads to the global WordPress template, and then fix the Paypal registration script. Currently it doesn’t renew subscriptions properly.